Access to Information
Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Navigate Up
Sign In

All council websites and online services will be unavailable from 5:30pm today for essential maintenance

Quick Launch

Access to Information

Print this Page
Right to Information - Access to Information

The Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009 (GIPA) replaced the Freedom of Information Act 1989 and Section 12 of the Local Government Act on 1 July 2010.  Under GIPA you have a right, with limited exceptions, to access documents held by Council. 

You can request to view any document held by Council.  Due to the nature of some documents access may be refused either in full or in part.

We have an extensive list of information that is freely available on our website.  Please review the attached Open Access Information Register which contains hyperlinks that will take you directly to the information you may be seeking access to.  Please refer to the Information containing Overriding Public Interest against Disclosure for a list of documents that Council are unable to publish.

Informal release of information

Members of the public may contact us and ask for information not contained on the Open Access Information Register.  This is known as an informal request, subject to any reasonable conditions.

If you are seeking access to general information please download the PDF opens in a new tabInformal Access Application.

If you are seeking access to a Development Application please download the PDF opens in a new tabDevelopment Application – Informal Access Application.

Alternatively you may lodge your request online using the Online Application form.

When submitting your request, it is important that you provide an accurate description of the information you are seeking access to.

Formal access application for release of information

If information cannot be accessed through any other avenue, a formal access application may be necessary.  This type of application is required when requesting a large volume of information or involves an extensive search.

A formal access application should also be submitted if the information you seek involves personal or business information about third parties who must be consulted before the information can be released.

If you wish to lodge a formal application please download the PDF opens in a new tabFormal Access Application form.

Applications must be in writing, and accompanied by a non-negotiable $30 application fee. Further processing charges may apply, depending on the type and amount of information sought.

Applicants will be contacted prior to commencement of the application to determine possible fees involved.  Details concerning the relevant processing time can be found under the GIPA Act.

Further Information

All informal forms can be

  • e-mailed to
  • posted to The General Manager, Wollongong City Council, Locked bag 8821, Wollongong, DC, NSW, 2500
  • dropped off at the Wollongong City Council Administration Building, 41 Burelli Street, Wollongong

Once your application is received a Council Officer will contact you if further information is required.  For more information about your application you can contact us by:

Page last updated: