Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
  
Event
1830
Surveyor Knapp was instructed to survey ten 100 acre lots for veterans on Dapto Creek. (This being the first recorded use of the name Dapto)
1833
George Brown received a grant of 500 acres north of Brooks Creek
1836
George Brown's property was put up for auction
1838
A Roman Catholic School was established at Dapto, it was the first school in the Illawarra, outside of Wollongong.
1851
A Presbyterian Church School opened
1859
The Municipality of Central Illawarra was incorporated. In the first election John Brown, Evan Robert Evans and Henry Hill Osborne were elected for Ward 3.
1870
Dairy farming became important. Butter was sent to Sydney
1877
A school building is opened at a cost of 1492 pounds
1887
Section of railway from Wollongong to North Kiama was opened and with it, Dapto station. A new town began to grow up around the station
1888
 Marshall Estate - soon after Mrs Marshall's death in 1888 her trustees subdivided her land west of the South Coast Road from Cleveland Road to Unara Street
1888
On the eastern side of the highway part of 'Lakelands' from Byamee to Werowi Street was subdivided.
1902-1903
Dapto was at its peak. In 1903 the Commissioner for Railways declared that Dapto was the most valuable station on the Illawarra line, its traffic being double that of Wollongong.
1905
Temporary downturn due to closure of the smelting works.
1933
Dapto described as a rural service centre, a village with a population of less than 500 in 1933 with about 70-80 structures in 1938
1947
On the 12th September Greater Wollongong was inaugurated to administer the areas formerly comprising the City of Wollongong, Municipality of North Illawarra and the Shires of Central Illawarra and Bulli
1952
CSIRO Division of Radiophysics set up a radiospectograph (radio telescope) and other equipment at Dapto to dissect the sun.
1958
 Dapto High School opened
1961
Lakelands Public School opened
1969
Hayes Park Public School opened
1975
Dapto TAFE opened
1984
Closure of St Anne's Catholic High School
1987
West Dapto Draft Strategic Plan exhibited
1989
 Large scale urban expansion of West Dapto
2000
Dapto Skate Park opened
2001
Dapto Ribbonwood Centre Opened