Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
  
Event
1867
Eugene Dominique Nicolle purchased acreages at Primbee
1889-90
Esperanza built by the Nicolle family
1902
The bay off Purry Burry Ave was named Primbee Bay
1909
The death of Eugene Nicolle
1919
Subdivided land at Primbee advertised for sale by Henry F Halloran & Co as 'The Lake Suburb'
1924
Stanley Nicolle sold Esperanza to J Vereker - a local butcher
1925
Berkeley Fish Co-operative opened
1927
Subdivision B, Lake City Estate Survey, Dec 1925 - approved by Council
1932
Construction of the first road through Primbee commences
1934
First road through Primbee completed
1937
Esperanza purchased by Vince O'Donnell
1938
Windang Bridge officially opened
1938
Primbee School opened.  First Principal was James Gamble
1953
Development of Port Kembla Golf Club on the Primbee peninsula
1968
Electrolytic Refining and Smelting Company (ER & S) acquires Korrongulla Swamp at Primbee for future use as a slag disposal site
1970
Construction of the main Primbee Bypass
1982
Korrungulla Swamp Development : Environmental Impact Statement prepared for ER & S.  Company proposes to develop the Korrungulla site for sand extraction and copper slag emplacement
1985
Land and Environment Court gives Port Kembla Copper consent for emplacement of copper slag in a sand extraction pit adjacent to Korrungulla wetland (over-ruling decision by Wollongong City Council)
2000
Primbee Residents Committee protests against the dumping of copper slag at Port Kembla Copper's emplacement site at Korrungulla