Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
  
Event
1817
Robert Jenkins receives land grant of 1,000 acres, which he names Berkeley.  George Cribb brings cattle down the mountain to Charcoal Creek.
1834
Jemima Jenkins purchases 2,000 acres at Berkeley.
1836-41
Edward Hargraves farms at Charcoal.
1839
William Jenkins builds Berkeley House.
1840
George Lindsay opens a small store at Charcoal.
1843
The Illawarra District Council is formed.
1844
Farmborough House is built on land acquired by Robert Martin Cole.
1855
Farmborough House brought by John Blackman.
1859
Two local government areas were formed. Municipality of Wollongong was proclaimed on 22 February. Central Illawarra Municipality was formed on 19 August (took in the area from Unanderra to Macquarie Rivulet).
1860
Post Office is opened at Charcoal. Tannery is established at Charcoal by John Richards.
1866
Pioneer Kerosene begins production at American Creek.
1870's
Nudjia House built by William Warren Jenkins on the Berkeley Estate.
1878
Unanderra Public School is opened.
1878
Central Illawarra Council transfers its operations to Charcoal.
1881
Government Gazette changes the name of the local post office from Charcoal to Unanderra.
1887
Butter factory is opened at Unanderra.
1887
Unanderra Station Master’s residence built.
1888
The Unanderra Coke Works are constructed.
1901
Unanderra Public Hall is opened.
1913
Unanderra Butter factory burns down.
1925
Work commences on the Illawarra Mountain Railway between Unanderra and Moss Vale.
1927
The Princes Highway is laid through Unanderra.
1932
The Illawarra Mountain Railway between Unanderra and Moss Vale opens.
1938
Berkeley House demolished.
1955
Unanderra Branch Library begins operation at the Unanderra Community Hall.
1956
Farmborough Road Public School opened
1960
Unanderra Branch Library is enlarged.
1960
St Pius X Catholic Primary School is established
1960
Rotary Club of Unanderra granted Charter on 30 April
1977
Western Suburbs Olympic swimming pool opened
1977
Unanderra receives the first supply of natural gas in Wollongong
1981
New Industrial park established at Unanderra
1986
Cedars Christian College formerly known as Wollongong Christian Community School relocated to Waples Road
1999
Unanderra Public School relocates from Princes Highway site to Derribong Drive, Cordeaux Heights
2001
Old Unanderra Primary School site being cleared to make way for construction of new Villa Maria aged care centre
2002
Unanderra branch of the Commonwealth Bank closes doors on January 4, 2002
2004
The Immaculate Conception Catholic Church celebrates its 50th anniversary in November
2005
Five Islands Industrial Business Park opened. The park will accommodate large and small companies with options to either buy the land and/or the warehouse, or just lease the facilities