Page Sections: Land Grants | Early Residents | Early Industry | Early Transport | Historic Buildings | Environment | Timeline | Bibliography
Traditional Custodians of Illawarra Land
Local communities of Aboriginal people were the original inhabitants and Traditional Custodians of Illawarra Land. Their dialect is a variant of the Dharawal language. Before European settlement, the Aboriginal people of the region lived in small family groups with complicated social structures and close associations with specific areas. Suburb boundaries do not reflect the cultural boundaries of the local Aboriginal community. Traditional Custodians today are descendants of the original inhabitants and have ongoing spiritual and cultural ties to the Land and waterways where their ancestors lived.
Parish of Kembla County of Camden
Cordeaux was the name of William Cordeaux (1792-1839) an early resident and land commissioner, for whom the area of Cordeaux, west of Mount Kembla was named. Cordeaux Heights is a planned suburb of Wollongong, established in the 1980s.
Cordeaux Heights is located approximately 7 kms south west of Wollongong, situated on the lower slopes of Mount Kembla. Immediately to the north lies the suburb of Mount Kembla, along William James Drive and Cordeaux Road. On the east, across Cordeaux Road is the suburb of Figtree. Unanderra and Farmborough Heights lie to the south across the roads of Staff Road and the eastern end of Central Road. The western aspect of the suburb is set within the framework of the Illawarra escarpment which blends into the Mount Kembla area, from the ends of the roads branching off the western side of Derribong Drive. (Golder Moss Associates, 1974)
The area was first settled by Martin Robert Cole (Captain Cole), George Waples, John Graham, Robert Jenkins, Jemima Jenkins and George Lindsay, amongst others. For more information on Land Grants in this area, see Farmborough Heights, Mount Kembla and Unanderra pages.
The Fishlocks came to Australia in 1844. The lived in the Dapto area at Evans Farm and later purchased a block of land, Lot 73, at Cordeaux River. Robert Fishlock and his sons cleared the land and erected a building on the bank of Young's Creek. They also had stock yards and a small orchard. The Fishlocks produced honey and also supplied bark sheets for roofing. (McNamara, 2007)
Peter Carr came to Australia in 1856. Peter purchased a property at Cordeaux River and called it "Avoca Vale", At the time of the Landholders census in 1885 Peter Carr owned 261 acres and had 4 horses, 70 cattle and 20 pigs. Peter left the Cordeaux property about 1890 when he purchased a property known as "Berkeley" in Unanderra. (McNamara, 2007)
Will Rann was a highly respected resident of Cordeaux. He leased property to South Coast graziers and dairymen. Rann's property was acquired by the Metropolitan Water, Sewerage and Drainage Board in 1950. (McNamara, 1997)
Dairy and general Farming
For more information on early farming and dairy farming in the area, see the Farmborough Heights and Kembla Grange pages.
The Pioneer Kerosene Mine
For more information on the Pioneer Kerosene Mine, see the Mount Kembla page.
For more information on coal mining in this area, see the Mount Kembla page.
For more information on early transport in this area see the Unanderra, Mount Kembla and Kembla Grange pages.
The homestead of early settlers at Cordeaux, William and Sarah Rann. The homestead was probably situated on a block of land - Lot 218 - selected by Timothy Brian. This was the first land purchased by William Rann when he arrived at Cordeaux. (McNamara, 1997)
The land of Cordeaux Heights forms part of the Sydney Basin. The area in general is located on a sloping topography overlying horizontal sedimentary strata on a volcanic base, known as the Illawarra Coal Measures, with residual soil and rock debris which is essentially clayey. Cordeaux Heights varies from gently to steeply sloping and is now mainly residential, but before this the area was extensively cleared by white man for farming purposes. Originally, the area was covered with rainforest, with abundant native flora and fauna, and there were two types of vegetation; sclerophyll forests and rainforest, which can still be found in protected gullies between foothills, along the slopes. In more open areas which have more exposure to sun and wind, Eucalypts dominate, especially Eucalyptus quadrangulata. Warm temperate and sub-tropical rainforest once grew along the banks of Charcoal Creek and rainforest merged into tall eucalypt open forest which replaced it along the ridges. (Davis, 1995; Golder Moss Associates, 1974; Kembla Green Corridor, 1991)
Black Wattles predominated in the creek areas at the time of proposed feasibility studies for the establishment of the suburb, with small stands of Melaleucas, Eucalypts, and Myrtles. Almost all of the land has views of the escarpment with Mount Kembla predominating. The ridge along Staff Road protects much of the area from the colder southerly winds which prevail in winter.
Development of Cordeaux Heights
Up to 1973, the area which today is the site of Cordeaux Heights, was made up of 3 dairy farms, and had been grazed extensively. At this time, the farms were purchased by R. W. Sheargold Pty. Ltd., for the potential development of a new suburb. (R.W. Sheargold, 1974)
In 1974, a feasibility study was carried out by the company Golder, Moss Associates, Consulting Geotechnical Engineers. In April, 1979, Wollongong City Council formulated a Development Strategy – Cordeaux Heights Estate, to be put to a Special Meeting of council held on 9th April, 1979. The area of land released was sufficient to proved housing and amenities for up to 5,000 people. (Forbes and Associates, 1978; Dunk, K.R., 1979)
The plan was based on road and allotment layout being primarily dictated by pedestrian movement within the neighbourhood. The suburb was to include dedicated open space of not less than 3 hectares per 1,000 head of population, to cater for active and passive recreational activities. The developer was also required to construct a new section of road to facilitate access to and within the new suburb. The road layout and design was based on a hierarchical function of roads, conforming to the road strategy in the Unanderra area, with main distributors (Central Road and Cordeaux Road), and minor collector roads to service the area. Such things as bus routes, services (schools), accessibility around the suburb by both cars and pedestrians, and protection of the environment, were all factored into the development. (Dunk, K.R., 1979).