Fernhill
Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Navigate Up
Sign In

All council websites and online services will be unavailable from 5:30pm today for essential maintenance

Fernhill

Print this Page

History

Traditional Custodians of Illawarra Land

Local communities of Aboriginal people were the original inhabitants and Traditional Custodians of Illawarra Land. Their dialect is a variant of the Dharawal language. Before European settlement, the Aboriginal people of the region lived in small family groups with complicated social structures and close associations with specific areas. Suburb boundaries do not reflect the cultural boundaries of the local Aboriginal community. Traditional Custodians today are descendants of the original inhabitants and have ongoing spiritual and cultural ties to the Land and waterways where their ancestors lived.

This page is currently under development by Library staff.

 

 Fernhill - Timeline

 
  
Event
1956
New wing to St Paul's Church of England hall at Fernhill officially blessed and opened by Most Rev. H. W. K. Mowll (Illawarra Index)
1958
Norco Co-operative builds new butter depot at Fernhill (Illawarra Index)
1960
Official opening of Pop Errington gates at Fernhill Sportsground on 20 March (Illawarra Index)
1961
Mr Jack Winship builds an observatory behind his Charles Road home (Illawarra Index)
1963
Fernhill Guides new hall officially opened by State Commissioner for Girl Guides (Illawarra Index)
1964
1st Fernhill Scouts and Cubs' Rooms opened in Meades Avenue (Illawarra Index)
1975
Fernhill Soccer Club celebrates 50th Anniversary (Illawarra Index)
2001
Fernhill Soccor Club honours one of its greatest servants today when Towradgi Park is renamed Ray Robinson Field (Ill. Merc., 16/6/2001)
Page last updated: