Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Navigate Up
Sign In

All council websites and online services will be unavailable from 5:30pm today for essential maintenance


Print this Page


Traditional Custodians of Illawarra Land

Local communities of Aboriginal people were the original inhabitants and Traditional Custodians of Illawarra Land. Their dialect is a variant of the Dharawal language. Before European settlement, the Aboriginal people of the region lived in small family groups with complicated social structures and close associations with specific areas. Suburb boundaries do not reflect the cultural boundaries of the local Aboriginal community. Traditional Custodians today are descendants of the original inhabitants and have ongoing spiritual and cultural ties to the Land and waterways where their ancestors lived.


Tarrawanna - History

Originally a grant of 60 acres made to Johnathon Brooker by Governor Macquarie in 1811. The property was passed to William Brooker and later purchased by James Brooker for 20 pounds. Part of the property was advertised to let in the Illawarra Mercury on 21 June 1858, "to Let, Mr Gritton's farm at Fairy Meadow, known as Tarrawanno. Apply to Mr Payne, Wheelwright, Wollongong, or to Mr James Brooker, Fairy Meadow."

This page is currently under development by Library Staff.


 Tarrawanna - Timeline

A grant of 60 acres made to Johnathon Brooker by Governor Macquarie. The land was later passed to William Brooker and then purchased by James Brooker for 20 pounds
Edward Harrigan came to the Illawarra cedar-cutting in 1828, and obtained land in Tarrawanna near Fairy Meadow.
Part of the property advertised to let in the Illawarra Mercury : “To let Mr Gritton’s farm at Fairy Meadow, known as Tarrawanna (spelled Tarrawanno)  …”
Captain Osborne announced a 50 year lease to the Brokers Nose Corrimal Colliery, Hawthorn Street Tarrawanna
Thomas Bertram, Manager of Brokers Nose Corrimal Colliery commenced mining coal
Coke works built in February 1886
The Church of England at Tarrawanna built.
Brokers Nose Corrimal Colliery reformed and operated as Corrimal Coke Company from January. On 7th November Southern Coal Company, based in England took over the leases.
Sale of blocks of land in “Tarrawanna Estate, Broker’s Farm, Balgownie”
John Payne of Tarrawanna is cultivating a new grass, paspalum for pasture purposes.
Fire at Corrimal Colliery
G.S. Yuill & Co. Pty Ltd opened a new entrance to Corrimal colliery called the Corrimal Balgownie Colliery
North Illawarra ratepayers petition presents 600 names seeking water from Cordeaux for Keiraville, Balgownie, Tarrawanna, Corrimal and Bellambi as provided in the Wollongong Water Supply Act.
Creek to be snagged for boating by Reidtown and Fern Hill Tarrawanna Citizens Association.
Recreation ground at Tarrawanna dedicated for public recreation on 14th October
Water supply being extended to Tarrawanna and Fern Hill.
New public hall in Tarrawanna officially opened by Mayor of North Illawarra, Alderman George Ashmore.
Corrimal Colliery reorganised and now known as The Corrimal Coal and Coke Company
A modern sub-station was built at the colliery
Recreation ground at Tarrawanna named Blaker Park
New public school opened at Tarrawanna by the Minister for Education, Hon. R J Heffron on Friday 14 November.
Henry Kendall memorial. Ornate gates and a 300 ft. fence, erected to the memory of the poet Henry Kendall, were opened at Tarrawanna School on Saturday, October 28th.
The Corrimal Coal and Coke Company purchased by Australian Iron & Steel Pty Limited (AIS)
Construction of a level-crossing linking Underwood Street and Tarrawanna Road, Corrimal, began in March
Opening of the Arcadians' Rehearsal Hall at Harrigan Street, Tarrawanna.
After 25 years of service the Salvation Army citadel will be demolished to make way for a new $3,000,000 complex.
Tarrawanna Garden Village officially opened by State Governor Rear–Admiral Peter Sinclair and Mrs Shirley Sinclair on Friday 8th October.
Facelift for Tarrawanna Village Shopping Centre planned
Tarrawanna Public School presented with an award from the Keep Australia Beautiful Council and the Healthy Cities Program.
Arcadians move from Harrigan Street Tarrawanna Rehearsal Hall after 33 years
Alpini Park in Tarrawanna officially opened by Wollongong Lord Mayor, David Campbell in September. The park on the corner of Caldwell Ave and Devenish St was completely transformed by the Alpini Association, a group of former Italian mountaineers
Page last updated: