Towradgi - History
According to a map in Henderson's Early Illawarra Towradgi was also known as "Towroger". A notice appeared in the Illawarra Mercury on 18 August 1856 advertising a dairy farm for sale at Towrodger, "formerly the property of Mr George Organ". Towradgi is a corruption of the aboriginal word "Kow-radgi" meaning "guardian of the sacred stones".
Traditional Custodians of Illawarra Land
Local communities of Aboriginal people were the original inhabitants and Traditional Custodians of Illawarra Land. Their dialect is a variant of the Dharawal language. Before European settlement, the Aboriginal people of the region lived in small family groups with complicated social structures and close associations with specific areas. Suburb boundaries do not reflect the cultural boundaries of the local Aboriginal community. Traditional Custodians today are descendants of the original inhabitants and have ongoing spiritual and cultural ties to the Land and waterways where their ancestors lived.
This page is currently under development by Library Staff